va star icon

Chicago E Visa Lawyer

Are you a national of a country which has a Treaty of Trade and Commerce agreement with America? If you will be conducting substantial trade from or with the U.S., working for an existing business that does, or you are developing and managing a business enterprise in which you have a vested interest, you may be eligible for a Treaty Trader (E-1) Visa or a Treaty Investor (E-2) Visa. A Chicago E Visa lawyer at Freedom Immigration can help you find out if you qualify.

Our immigration law firm may be able to help you and your family members move to the United States in just three months. 

Two men from different cultures shake hands after making a business deal. E Visa Lawyer.

Find out if you qualify. Contact the E Visa lawyers at Freedom Immigration for a free consultation. Call (224) 588-3536

Table of Contents :

What Is an E Visa?

E-1 Treaty Trader Visas and E-2 Treaty Investor Visas are designed to enable treaty traders and foreign investors who are citizens of certain countries to enter the United States under a treaty of commerce and navigation. E-3 Specialty Occupation Visas, which are designed for eligible workers in Australia, are included in this category as well. 

Are You Eligible for an E Visa?

Treaty traders, treaty investors, and specialty occupation workers from Australia who live abroad must meet various requirements to obtain E-1, E-2, or E-3 visas that allow them to enter the United States.  

  • For an E-1 visa, treaty traders must conduct substantial trade between their country and the United States.
  • Treaty investors who wish to obtain an E-2 visa must invest in, and direct the operation of, an enterprise in the U.S.
  • For E-3 visas, Australian citizens must perform services in a specialty occupation.
  • Employees of treaty traders or foreign national investors may also qualify for E-1 and E-2 visas.

Additionally, the applicant must be a national of a country with which the U.S. holds a treaty of commerce and navigation.

Qualifying for E-1 Treaty Trader Visas

To be eligible for this visa, the E-1 Treaty Trader must, whether an individual or existing business, or an individual employed by that individual or business, possess the nationality of a country with which the United States maintains a Treaty of Commerce and Navigation. Additionally:

  • The applicant must intend to conduct trade in America of a substantial nature (i.e. an amount of trade sufficient to ensure a continuous flow of international trade items between America and the treaty country);
  • The trade must be conducted principally between America and the treaty country of which the applicant is a national;
  • If the applicant is not the principal trader, he or she must be employed in a managerial or executive capacity or have specialized knowledge which makes the applicant’s presence essential for the operation of the trade; and
  • The applicant must intend to leave America when the visa expires.

At Freedom Immigration, our E visa lawyers can help treaty traders get approved for an E-1 visa within 4 to 12 weeks from the date you file your application.

Qualifying for E-2 Treaty Investor Visas

The E-2 Visa is issued to the foreign nationals of treaty countries on the basis that the visa holder is entering the United States for the sole purpose of developing and managing an investment enterprise with which the applicant has a vested interest in. To qualify for this visa, the applicant must:

  • Be from a country with a treaty agreement with America;
  • Provide substantial investment (i.e. in relationship to the total cost of purchasing or establishing the enterprise; sufficient to ensure the visa holder’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise; and of a level to support the development and maintenance of the enterprise);
  • Be planning to purchase or establish an active investment enterprise; and
  • Be in a role which is managerial or supervisory in nature.

The funds used for investment must be the visa applicant’s own funds. Documentary evidence will be required to prove this. These funds, however, may be in the form of loans (as long as the loan is not collateralized by the acquired assets) and other assets such as equipment, fixtures, inventory, patent rights, royalties and other contract rights so long as they can be objectively appraised.

va 5star icon
va quote icon
Amazing services and outstanding customer service. Highly recommended.
~ Net Diatom LP
va 5star icon
va quote icon
I could not be more impressed, hands down best Law Firm in Rolling Meadows, really convenient parking and amazing location. Reasonable rates.
~ Diana Sumnor

Qualifying for E-3 Specialty Occupation Visas

The E-3 visa is only available for nationals of Australia. To be eligible for this visa, your sole purpose for coming to the United States must be to provide services in your specialty occupation. The initial period of stay for an E-3 Specialty Occupation visa holder is two years. There is generally no limit to the number of times you can extend your visa, however, and extensions are in two-year increments. To qualify, you must:

  • The necessary credentials required for your specialty occupation.
  • Obtained a legitimate offer of employment for a position in your specialty occupation in the United States.
  • Possess a bachelor’s degree or higher in your specialty field.
  • Be able to provide the required documentation and evidence that demonstrates your eligibility for the E-3 visa. 

Various types of occupations may qualify as specialty occupations. These include, but are not limited to, teachers, accountants,
medical professionals, lawyers, social workers, and engineers. Our immigration lawyers can help you determine whether your occupation qualifies. 

FAQs About E Visas in the United States

How long is the initial period of stay for an E-2 visa? (USCIS)

E-2 visa holders are initially granted a period of admission for two (2) years, with an unlimited number of two-year extensions of status.

How long does it take to get an E-2 visa?

It can take from a few weeks to up to 12 months to get an E-2 visa, depending on the Consulate. Most applicants receive their E-2 visas within just four or five months, however. 

Can you apply for a green card as an E-2 visa holder?

Since the E-2 visa is a dual intent visa, an experienced immigration lawyer can help you apply for a green card while maintaining your E-2 visa holder status.  

star made out of horizontal blue lines
Recent Blog Posts
The U.S. immigration system is multifaceted, encompassing a broad range of categories and subcategories for immigrants desiring to reside permanently in the United States.